Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Longest 24 Hours of my Life.


I have to admit, I knew from the beginning that avoiding the internet for a full 24 hours was not going to be an easy task for me. No Myspace? No Email? No checking multiple times a day for electronics deals on Slickdeals.net? I started to realize just how much I am online and how much it has become an indispensable part of my daily life. Then I got really worried.

So, at 9 am, I had to stop myself from turning on my computer to jump on and check out news sites and logging onto myspace. I couldn't check the message boards for my online classes, which was a little disconcerting. I was sure that some major change would come down or that one of the assignments I'd already turned in would turn out to be horribly wrong and my lack of response would lead the instructor to conclude that I didn't care and fail me instantly. This, of course, got me thinking about other things I would be unable to do without the internet. I realized that I had yet to look up the proper technique for clearing a choking infant's airway, and had no way to do so without going online. I had been meaning to do it for awhile, but never got around to it. When the internet is always there, I just assume I'll be able to get information while I'm doing something else. It's not like I thought I'd have enough time to look it up in the event she actually started choking, it's just something I never thought about until I couldn't get to it. Ultimately, I found it in a book.

I'm old enough to remember the time before I had access to practically any kind of information I could possibly imagine on the internet. Before wikipedia, I had to look things up in Encyclopedia Britannica and find books using a card catalog. Taking a day off from the internet really helped me appreciate how far we've come and just how lucky we are to have this technology we take for granted.

After my daughter went down for her nap, I found myself bored. Normally, I’d jump online and browse or check email or post on a class messageboard, but I couldn’t. I just got a new Xbox game, so I decided to spend some time playing it. Even this simple task changed without the internet. First, I had to unplug my router to keep my console from automatically connecting to Xbox live. Second, I realized that I’d have to be content with the offline component of a game I had purchased mainly to play online. Then, after playing for awhile, I was unsure about one of the game’s features. I put my controller down and headed for my computer to look up more info on it, then stopped myself. It’s amazing that my first reaction when I need information is to head for the internet.

As far as my ability to communicate, just let me say thank God for text messaging. If I’d had to give both texting and the internet up on the same day, I know I would have felt like some kind of mountain man, completely isolated from the outside world. I was totally cut off from my classes and the friends I communicate with through Myspace, but at least I could still talk to my immediate social group.

Ultimately, I realized just how much time I spend every day doing something internet-related. I also checked out the single-player component of my new game, something I probably would have overlooked otherwise. I learned what to do with a choking infant and got halfway through a novel I started during the term break and thought I’d never have time to finish now that classes have started again. I also gained a new-found appreciation of just how much of my life is wrapped up in the internet, and how much it has changed in the last ten years because of it.

3 comments:

Bre Kerkvliet said...

Wow! Ben, it does sound like you spend a lot of your time on the internet. I have heard of being able to play video games online but I have never played them before. It is SO crazy to think of how much of our world is connected through the internet. I recently spent a weekend over in Bend at a resort with my mom and sister. We played cribbage and other various games and had a nice weekend. When I got back to Corvallis all I wanted to do was play some more cribbage so I got online and found a website where you just log on and can play people all around the world. It was fun until the person I was playing started chatting and she said some weird things and it became awkward so I have not been on that site sense. Without the internet Dateline would have their hit show, Online Predators. Have you seen that? It is crazy what some people do and reminds me, and I think everyone else, how careful we need to be.

JodiOdie said...

I relate so much to your experiences with the internet! I believe this is true for everyone but that is the main and almost only option in my mind to find information...the internet. Not just web pages but also online e-books and quotes from books and magazine articles. And how you always put off learning something because the internet is always there and always will be. There is a billion things I say I
m going to check out but never get around to doing on the internet....the only question is....if I'm spending this much time online and not finding these things out then what am I doing exactly? How can I spend hours online and not get anything of value out of it? the answer.....MYSPACE! and many other useless sites.

sam paul said...

I'm with you Ben, especially where baby information is concerned. There are millions of new parents on the internet and it's saved a lot of worry time in most cases. I find midvalleymoms.com useful for finding local things to do with my 3 year old in Oregon.
I play a little on my XBox 360 but I've never hooked any game system up online before. Single player games are awesome, more like puzzles I suppose, but I'm thinking of giving the live version of Halo3 a go.
-Sam Paul